1.4
Insurance Plans Acceptance

VPI, now Nationwide Pet Insurance is a borderline scam. My policy states that after a $500 deductible Nationwide will cover 100% of medical costs (my plan excludes regular check-ups, vaccines, etc).

However, the fine print says they cover ONLY what they allow for that particular service or diagnosis. Which I came to find out is a very small percentage of the actual cost associated with treatment or procedures. I have had this insurance since my dog was a puppy, and paid every month. When he was diagnosed with chylothorax in October of 2017 I came to find out the maximum amount that Nationwide would reimburse for any treatment, surgery, etc is as little over $1100.

The cost of treatment before surgery for this issue was around $3000, and the surgery is estimated from $6k to $8k. Most people have pet insurance to pay for serious accidents or illness, which can cost thousands. Additionally, it should be noted that I had to submit invoices as procedure were done and wait up to 30 days prior to each invoice submitted to find out if I was going to be reimbursed.

When they would not pay, they did not even send out any notification of why. Contacting customer service was a joke, they were rude and completely unhelpful (probably tired of dealing with unhappy customers calling all day).

Product or Service Mentioned: Nationwide Pet Insurance Pet Insurance.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Reimbursement is a small fraction of costs incurred.

Comments